A PSW or Personal Support Worker plays an important role in the Healthcare sector. Personal Support Workers provide patients with bedside and personal care including getting them dressed, helping them move and taking a bath. PSW is a highly demanding career, especially in Canada. According to Employment Canada, 60 per cent of full-time job positions for Personal Support Workers are available to those students who wish to pursue a career in the health sector. If you wish to build a stable career for yourself then a PSW Course is the right choice for you.
|Course||Personal Support Worker (PSW)|
|Mode||Full time, Part-Time|
|Duration||6 months, 1-2 Years|
|Average Fees||CAD 1348 (INR 78,700)|
|Average Salary||CAD 37,050 (INR 21 Lakhs) per year|
PSW Course Fee in Canada
The table below mentions the tuition fees for PSW Courses in the following colleges:
|Seneca College||CAD 15,133 (INR 8,83,081)|
|Sheridan College||CAD 7,867 (INR 4,59,076)Per Semester|
|Algonquin College||CAD 4,925 (INR 2,87,396)Per Semester|
|Centennial College||CAD 15,385 (INR 8,97,786)|
|Humber College||CAD 16,414 (INR 9,57,833)|
Cost of Living
The table below mentions the average cost of living in Canada as an International Student:
|Living Expenses||Cost of Living|
|Accommodation||CAD 5,000 – CAD 10,000(INR 2 Lakh – 5 Lakh) per annum|
|Travel||CAD 80 – CAD 110 (INR 4K -INR 6K) per month|
|Entertainment||CAD 750 (INR 43K) monthly|
|Food||CAD 300- CAD 400(INR 17K – INR 23K) per month|
|Total Cost||CAD 6,260 – CAD 11,260(INR 3 lakh – 6 Lakh) per annum|
Check out Leverage Edu’s Cost of Living Calculator to find out the cost of living in the top cities of Canada
Eligibility Criteria for PSW in Canada
Usually, the candidate is required to have the following as the eligibility criteria for this course:
- The student should be a mature applicant i.e 18 years or older.
- The student must have obtained a Grade 12 English (C or U), or equivalent (minimum grade required).
- English Language Proficiency
- IELTS: 6.0 with no component less than 5.5
- TOEFL iBT: 80+
- PTE: 51+
*Please note that some colleges may require an overall 6.5 with no bands less than 6.0.
If you haven’t yet prepared for your IELTS exam, which is surely an important factor of studying abroad, join our Leverage Live classes and get trained by experts to get your dream score.
Best Colleges for PSW in Canada
The table below mentions some of the colleges in Canada that offer a PSW Diploma along with their application fee:
|Algonquin College||CAD 95 (INR 5,544)|
|Centennial College||CAD 95 (INR 5,544)|
|Confederation College||CAD 95 (INR 5,544)|
|Durham College||CAD 95 (INR 5,544)|
|Georgian College||CAD 95 (INR 5,544)|
|Humber College||CAD 75 (INR 4,377)|
|Hamilton College||CAD 60 (INR 3K)|
|Mohawk College||No Application Fee|
|Northern College||CAD 100 (INR 5,836)|
|Niagara College||CAD 100 (INR 5,836)|
|Sheridan College||CAD 95 (INR 5,544)|
|Seneca College||CAD 90 (INR 5,252)|
Also Read: Diploma Courses in Canada
How to Apply?
If you have made up your mind to study in Canada then feel free to call our Leverage Edu experts at 1800 572 000 to find out how the application process can be fast-tracked and streamlined to study in Canada! Here’s an easy 5-step process to complete your application process to pursue a PSW Course in Canada:
- Call our Leverage Edu student counsellors at 1800 572 000 to shortlist your PSW Course with the help of our trusted AI Course Finder. The experts will then commence your application process for multiple colleges through our common dashboard platform.
- The next step is to gather and compile all your documents like SOPs, essays, certificates and LORs and exam scores like IELTS, TOEFL etc.
- After submitting your application and all the necessary documents, the experts will then start with the application process for accommodation, Canada students visas, and scholarships/student loans.
- It’s now time to wait for your offer letter which can take around 4-6 weeks or more. After accepting your offer letter, it’s now time to pay your semester fees, get your visa approved, CAS-Letter, pack your bags and fly to Canada.
Check out the Canada student permit
PSW Canada Requirements
In order to enrol in this course, the following documents are required by an international student:
- High School Certificate/ Diploma if any
- Statement of Purpose
- Letter of Recommendation
- A Letter of Acceptance
- Language Test Scores: IELTS, TOEFL, PTE
- Proof of Financial Evidence
Jobs and Scope after PSW in Canada
Taking the course of personal support workers in Canada may bring you lots of benefits and lucrative opportunities. Here’s what you may find after graduating from this course:
- Personal care and hygiene assistance
- Household and family management
- Meal preparation
- Medical assistance
- Palliative and restorative activities
- Personal Support Worker
- Home Support Worker
- Home Health Care Worker
- Personal Care Attendant
Also Read: Masters in Public Health in Canada
Areas of Employment
- Long-term care facilities
- Residential facilities
- Retirement homes
- Community support agencies
- Private duty and home care
- School systems (for behaviorally challenged and developmentally delayed children)
The PSW Course prepares students with practical experience throughout the duration of the course. Therefore, it prepares students to pursue a career further with a start with field placements by their respective colleges. Students who will meet the eligibility requirements will be considered for field placements. The Field Placements Requirements at the Centennial College are mentioned below:
- The student must obtain a clear police check with vulnerable sector screening.
- Any previous criminal record must be pardoned.
- The student must have a complete immunization (immunization review form); a standard form that is provided by the program coordinator.
- The student should complete and annually renew a recognized course in CPR (HCP-Healthcare Provider level).
- The student must complete a recognized course in standard first aid.
- Students are required to attend mask fit testing provided by Centennial College (shaving off a portion of the face may be required to meet safety standards).
|Average Salary||Salary Amount|
|Entry-Level Position||CAD 34,125 per annum (INR 19 Lakhs)|
|Experienced Workers||CAD 48,312 per annum (INR 28 Lakhs)|
|Average Salary in Canada per annum||CAD 37,050 per annum (INR 21 Lakhs)|
|Average Salary in Canada per hour||CAD 19 per hour (INR 1K)|
There are 3 Intakes i.e Fall, Winter and Summer.
A student must be 18 years or older to pursue a PSW Course.
No. Most colleges require at least 5.5 overall with 6.0 bands in other components.
Due to the pandemic situation of COVID-19, the demand for professionals in the heath sector have risen drastically. Personal support workers or PSW are in higher demand than ever before in Canada. A PSW provides assistance to elderly, physically disabled, or chronically ill patients, and help them live their lives comfortably within a supportive environment.
Yes. International students are eligible to apply for PSW in Canada. International Students must fulfil the eligibility requirements to pursue a PSW Program in Canada.
It can take around 6 months to 1 year in full-time mode and up to 2 years in part-time mode to complete a PSW Program in Canada.
If you are planning to pursue this course in Canada and need help with the application process, then our experts at Leverage Edu are ever ready to help you out. For a free consultation call us at 1800-572-000